PURPOSE OF ROLE
To provide comprehensive and flexible secretarial support across all operational
divisions and locations. To ensure that tasks are undertaken in a timely and
effective manner. To strive for continuous professional development at work.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Tasks and Activities:
1. To undertake such work as may be delegated by your designated Fee
Earner or Partner in relation to client matters or any required administrative
2. To assist your designated Fee Earner or Partner in prioritising the client
matter and, when appropriate, advise the client and others in the progress
of the matter.
3. To assist with file management and the consistent review of files, where
4. To ensure accurate time recording of all work undertaken by your assigned
Fee Earner or Partner.
5. To attend to clients and others, where appropriate, on behalf of the Fee
Earner or Partner, taking accurate instructions for your Fee Earner's
6. To undertake all work of a secretarial nature as may be requested by any
Fee Earner including typing and word processing, photocopying, making
and taking phone calls.
7. To take and record accurately any message and pass the same on to the
appropriate person without delay.
8. To make appointments and maintain up to date diary entries.
9. To deal with filing, storage and retrieval of client's papers and files, opening
and closing of files, storage of deeds and other papers all in accordance
with the firms policies.
10. To correctly identify and differentiate between DX and Royal Mail post and
hand or other deliveries.
11. To undertake any additional duties which may be allocated from time to
Generic Responsibilities and Expected Standards:
1. To assist with the implementation of good working practices, maintain a
high standard of work and client service/care within your area of
responsibility, in accordance with the firm's policies, procedures and
guidelines and/or as directed by your line manager.
2. To use initiative on all matters.
3. To ensure confidentiality and security for all firm and client documentation
4. To undertake any specific training course as and when required.
5. To effectively demonstrate the firm's values and behaviours at all times.
6. To maintain clear and precise communications with other members of staff
and assist other secretaries when required.
7. To develop good working relationships with external institutions,
organisations and other third parties.
8. To ensure that any equipment supplied for the purpose of your work is
used correctly, maintained and any defects/faults are reported.
9. To ensure that Health & Safety principles and safe working practices are
followed at all times. Employees have a legal duty that gives them
responsibility, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure that they do
not endanger themselves or anyone else by their acts or omissions.
10. To cooperate with the firm on Health & Safety matters and do not interfere
with or misuse anything provided for health, safety and welfare purposes.
11. To keep areas of work clean and tidy.
12. All employees have a responsibility to carry out their work with due regard
for the environment.
Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Attitudes
1. Experience of working as a Legal Secretary.
2. A proficient level of literacy and numeracy.
3. Experience of working within a team environment.
4. Experience of data entry and/or text processing.
5. Competent audio and touch typist.
6. IT literate with experience of the Microsoft Office suite of applications
including Word, Excel and Outlook. SOS case management desirable.
7. Organised and methodical with the ability to multi-task, prioritise and work
in a fast paced environment.
8. A high level of attention to detail.
9. Ability to interact effectively with others, both face to face and over the
telephone, including an excellent telephone manner and comfortable
dealing with clients.
10. Committed to excellent client service.
11. Focused on achieving goals, adopting a proactive can do attitude.
12. Uses initiative, works creatively and solves problems.
13. Highly motivated and willing to learn.
14. Ability to use shorthand desirable.
15. An understanding of and adherence to General Data Protection Regulation
(GDPR), and maintaining confidentiality and integrity at all times.