Job title: Paralegal - Civil Litigation
Salary: 18k - 20k
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
PURPOSE OF ROLE
To provide comprehensive and articulate legal support to clients, ensuring a high standard of service is consistently delivered in line with the firm's procedures. To seek to identify means of continuous improvement of self and the wider firm.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Tasks and Activities:
1. To successfully manage a caseload of pre-litigation and litigated cases, both personal injury and clinical negligence from fast track to multi track level.
2. To handle an existing case load of personal injury and clinical negligence cases as well as developing own case load.
3. To attend and conduct client meetings.
4. To attend sub divisional and divisional meetings, providing feedback where appropriate.
5. To achieve financial and chargeable hours targets.
6. To attend networking and client events where required.
7. To carry out work to the highest possible standards, adhering to and implementing Law Society and firm guidelines and regulations including inter alia those on client care, time recording, billing, disbursements, and collection of bills, confidentiality and client and office accounts.
8. To ensure the confidentiality and security of all firm and client documentation and information.
9. To ensure that clients are regularly updated as to the current situation of their case even if the matter is going through a period of inactivity.
10. To handle telephone calls effectively and efficiently.
11. To ensure that all complaints are dealt with professionally, promptly and in accordance with the firm's policies.
12. To maintain files in a neat and orderly state and in accordance with firm policies and to ensure that each file is reviewed regularly.
13. To ensure that documents are completed in accordance with firm procedures.
14. To understand the obligations relating to client accounts and ensure bills, payments and receipts comply with the Solicitors Accounts Rules and the firm's rules.
15. To take positive steps to ensure that existing clients are aware of the various types of legal work carried out by the firm.
16. To carry out any other duties as may be allocated by the Partners.
Generic Responsibilities and Expected Standards:
1. To assist with the implementation of good working practices, maintain a high standard of work and client service/care within your area of responsibility, in accordance with the firm's policies, procedures and guidelines and/or as directed by your line manager.
2. To use initiative on all matters.
3. To ensure confidentiality and security for all firm and client documentation and information.
4. To undertake any specific training course as and when required.
5. To effectively demonstrate the firm's values and behaviours at all times.
6. To maintain clear and precise communications with other members of staff.
7. To develop good working relationships with external institutions, organisations and other third parties.
8. To ensure that any equipment supplied for the purpose of your work is used correctly, maintained and any defects/faults are reported.
9. To ensure that Health & Safety principles and safe working practices are followed at all times. Employees have a legal duty that gives them responsibility, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure that they do not endanger themselves or anyone else by their acts or omissions.
10. To cooperate with the firm on Health & Safety matters and do not interfere with or misuse anything provided for health, safety and welfare purposes.
11. To keep areas of work clean and tidy.
12. All employees have a responsibility to carry out their work with due regard for the environment. The firm's Environmental Policy and procedures relevant to your area must be followed.
Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Attitudes
1. A basic understanding of Law and the legal context, including resources to maintain continuous professional development.
2. Possesses experience in handling personal injury and clinical negligence client matters.
3. Ability to work effectively within a fast paced team.
4. Articulate with a high level of attention to detail.
5. Organised and able to handle a busy and varied workload.
6. Committed to a high level of client service.
7. Proactive and tenacious in seeking to resolve client matters irrespective of their nature.
8. IT literate with experience of the Microsoft Office suite of applications including Word, Excel and Outlook.
9. Experience of using legal software, including SOS case management, is desirable.
10. Ability to interact effectively with others, both face to face and over the telephone, including an excellent telephone manner.
11. Focused on achieving goals, adopting a can do attitude.
12. Uses initiative, works creatively and solves problems.
13. Highly motivated and willing to learn.
14. An understanding of and adherence to General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and maintaining confidentiality and integrity at all times.
Workforce Office Appointments team fill hundreds of temporary, temp to perm and permanent vacancies throughout Worcestershire and South Birmingham every Year.
Operating from multiple registration centres across Redditch, Worcester and Kidderminster, our team offer a unique service tailored to match your exact needs and can assist you with the following job categories: Clerical / Administration, Call Centre, Customer Services, Sales & New business development, secretarial & PA, Accountancy & Finance, Professional and management!!
We are always searching for the best talent, so if you know anyone, why not recommend them to one of our professional team who will be more than happy to help.
Worcestershire's Leading Recruiter